Enter your email address below to subscribe to David's Wanderings in the Wild - A Hiking Blog!


powered by Bloglet

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Spring is here! And so are the crowds...


This place looks peaceful, doesn't it?

I am so sorry that I have not blogged in so long. I was extremely busy with work until quite recently. I have also gone hiking very infrequently, because I no longer have my own car, and have to borrow one to do this, my favorite activity, whatsoever. Have a look at the photos. Looks like a charming place, doesn’t it? Annapolis Rocks has been one of my favorite haunts for more than twenty years. A few weeks back I took a hike to get a break from work. I work in a library, which is fine, but it does leave one feeling cooped-up at times. There are not so many windows, and even less natural light, although it’s a great place to work otherwise.

I went hiking in the late afternoon, taking off at three or so on a Saturday. I did get a little bit of exercise, and I got the requisite pretty sunset view. That was good. The photos pretty much speak for themselves on that front.

The cliffs of Annapolis Rocks

However, I had trouble really enjoying it. Beautiful weather, great spot, what could go wrong? Well, lots really! I ran into more people than usual at this hiking spot. Groups were everywhere. While enjoying the view of the valley, a couple was nearby with their little child. This little girl was screaming at the top of her lungs. The place was never truly quiet. I saw some nice views, but I could not really get my mind off of work and the everyday slog that is my life.

Near the Annapolis Rocks viewpoint, I spoke to someone who is the minder for the camping area there. I guess they need him now. You can no longer camp freely there – there is a limit of campsites, and they are restricted to certain areas. You cannot light campfires there anymore, because they want to let the environment recover, and it seems that this spot has had heavy traffic in recent years.

I can remember coming here when nobody knew about this place. It’s on the Appalachian Trail, which is well known. But even if I saw other people here, there was already plenty of room for everyone. Not anymore, it seems. At least my photos don’t show that. I like to think that my photos show the part of the experience that I like and wish to remember.

I remember noticing before that they had started restricting camping at this place, but I had trouble figuring out why. Now I understand perfectly. This place really does get a lot of people, although this is the first time that I have really noticed it, and never before had that fact disturbed me in any way.

It seems that in even my relatively short time knowing the mountains here, they have started to become more crowded and less peaceful. I hope that this is a fluke!

Well, enough philosophizing and ranting, at least try to enjoy the view! That’s still my goal, and I did still manage to do that a little bit on this trip. I'll close with one more photo - of Annapolis Rocks overlooking the mountains and valley at sunset. In case you were wondering, this is what it's all about for me.

Just a brief technical note: all the photos on this post were taken with the digital camera that is built into my Samsung cell phone. It is something that I have been experimenting with. I find the quality to be decent, at least for Internet use, as long as you use it outdoors under natural light. Please let me know what you think of them!

Sincerely,

Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home